Ports, shipping and maritime emergencies
Maritime Safety Victoria has a number of responsibilities related to ports, shipping and maritime emergencies.
- Accreditation and licensing for marine pilots, pilot exempt masters, local knowledge certificate holders, Victorian harbour masters
- Education of ports and shipping safety duty-holders to ensure they understand their legislative obligations
- Audits to ensure safety duty-holders comply with these obligations
- Identify safety problems and assist in the reduction of incidents resulting in death and serious injury
- Conduct investigations into marine incidents
- Control agency or support agency for certain maritime casualties and maritime emergencies
On this website you can also find information about:
- Reporting a commercial marine incident
- Notices to mariners
- The buoyage system
- Marine safety legislation
Coronavirus (COVID-19) frequently asked questions: Pilotage, licensing & qualifications
Visit the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) website for information including:
Visit the Bureau of Meteorology for marine weather information.