Home > Drivers > Coronavirus (COVID-19) > Coronavirus (COVID-19) FAQs > Financial and business issues FAQs

Financial and business issues FAQs

What is the Victorian government doing to support the commercial passenger vehicle industry?

For information on the financial assistance announced by the government on 24 July 2020, please see here.

Please note that assessment of cleaning grants, regional fund grants and depot fee subsidies closed on 19 October 2020. If you applied, the Department of Transport will contact you to advise if you are eligible for payments.

I have been told I must self-isolate or quarantine because I have coronavirus (COVID-19) or I am a close contact of a confirmed case. Can I get financial support for the time I am in isolation or quarantine and unable to work?

Yes. You may be eligible for Coronavirus (COVID-19) Test Isolation and Worker Support Payments. Read more here.

My income has fallen significantly since coronavirus (COVID-19), where can I go for financial support?

The Federal Government has recently announced a number of income support measures to help people affected by the economic impacts of coronavirus (COVID-19).

Please visit treasury.gov.au/coronavirus to determine the support best suited to your circumstances.

I am not an Australian resident for social security purposes, where can I go for financial support?

Centrelink has an online Payment and Service Finder tool to help individuals find support services

I am self-employed, am I eligible for financial assistance?

Yes. Sole traders are eligible to apply for the Commonwealth government’s Jobkeeper payment for sole traders and a range of other financial support measures explained here.

Sole traders may include:

  • accredited commercial passenger vehicle drivers whose business involves driving a registered commercial passenger vehicle that they either own, lease or bail
  • registered commercial passenger vehicle owners who lease or bail their vehicle to accredited commercial passenger vehicle drivers that are self-employed.

The ATO considers you a sole trader if you:

  • use your individual tax file number when lodging your income tax return
  • report all your income in your individual tax return, using the section for business items to show your business income and expenses (there is no separate business tax return for sole traders)
  • use your ABN for all your business dealings
  • are registered for Goods and Services Tax (GST)
  • pay tax at the same income tax rates as individual taxpayers
  • may claim a deduction for any personal super contributions you make after notifying your fund.

Will association fees be reduced by booking service providers?

CPVV does not regulate the association fees set by booking service providers. Booking service providers may choose to reduce, delay or waive their association fees during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, but this is a decision for them. Government is working with booking service providers to ensure they can provide appropriate support to their associated driver workforce. Please check with your booking service provider if you are unsure what arrangements they have put in place.

Please visit the treasury.gov.au site here for all available financial support for individuals and households.

Is CPVV offering any financial help to drivers during the pandemic?

Commercial Passenger Vehicles Victoria (CPVV) appreciates the financial difficulties that many Victorians are facing during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

To assist, we are pausing the following recurring fees until further notice:

  • Driver accreditation (see Maintaining your driver accreditation)
  • Commercial passenger vehicle registration
  • Driving instructor authority renewal – this includes any renewal invoices received recently: please do not pay these
  • Replacement Multi Purpose Taxi Program member cards.

Can I advertise services with ‘additional’ cleaning and hygiene measures?

All booking services providers and associated drivers should have measures in place to reduce the risk of spreading coronavirus (COVID-19). These measures include appropriate cleaning and hygiene for all services, not only for those that come at an additional cost to passengers. High touch surfaces in vehicles should be cleaned after each passenger and after each driver with recommended products. See Vehicle cleaning for more information. Drivers should also wash their hands thoroughly with soap and water, or hand sanitiser with at least 60 per cent alcohol, regularly.

CPVV has introduced a range of tools available to assist you with this, along with these FAQs. These include Codes of Practice which provide practical guidance to booking service providers and drivers to meet their safety duties, and Guidelines for transporting high risk and COVID-19 positive passengers in commercial passenger vehicles which outline the minimum requirements for PPE, cleaning and the disposal of waste for a commercial passenger vehicle that is being used to transport high risk and coronavirus (COVID-19) positive passenger(s).